When it comes to home maintenance and upkeep, there’s nothing more frustrating than not having the right tools for the job. If you own a house, then chances are you’re going to have to deal with some degree of maintenance from time to time. From fixing leaky faucets and dirty drains to changing the oil in your garage door and replacing broken windows, keeping your home properly maintained is an essential part of living in it. One common maintenance task that many homeowners will need help with is hosing down their driveways or decks after they’ve been used for a while or gotten wet from rain or snow. Luckily, there are several different models of retractable hose reels on the market that make this job a lot easier than lugging around heavy extension poles all the time. These handy tools make it easy to reach high places without bending over, change out your hose without coming inside, and extend your reach when you need it most.
What is a retractable hose reel
A retractable hose reel is a hose reel that can be detached from the hose attached to it and then reeled back in the other direction to reduce the length of the hose. Retractable hose reels like this are commonly used to reel in a hose or extension cord that has gotten too long and needs to be shortened. These reels can also be used for spraying purposes or for washing down driveways, patios, and decks. A hose reel can be attached to a garden hose with a threaded connector that has a nozzle attached to it, or it can be attached to a water supply via a water supply hose.
How to use a hose reel
- Attach the hose reel to the hose/extension cord with an adapter/con connection
- Detach the reel from the hose and set it upright
- Connect the other end of the hose to your faucet
- Press the button on the reel to begin reeling in the hose
- Press the button again to complete the reel and have the hose laying on the floor
This process can also be used to extend the length of a hose as well. Just undo the reel from the hose, attach it to the faucet, and have the hose connected to the faucet. Then, disconnect the hose from the faucet and attach it to a hose reel. Now you have a longer hose.
Things to look for when shopping for a hose reel
- Size is important when choosing a hose reel. Make sure it’s long enough to reach the area you want to hose. It should also be long enough to reach the area you want to hose without the reel being fully extended.
- Make sure the hose reel has a capacity large enough to hold the size of the hose it’ll be reeling in. If you have a 1/2-inch hose, you don’t want to have to use a reel that only holds a 1/4-inch hose.
- Make sure the hose reel is suited for outdoor use. Look for a hose reel that is made for outdoor use and has been safety tested to withstand harsh weather conditions.
If you own a house and need to hose down your driveway or decks after using them or if you need a hose reel for any other reason, a retractable hose reel is an essential tool to have on hand. There are several different models of retractable hose reels on the market today, and it can be confusing to know what to look for when choosing one. We’ve taken the time to research several models and have included our buying guide below to help you decide what best suits your needs.